The Public Theater is seeking two local Artists for a paid, year-long artist residency.
The Public Theater of San Antonio will hire two Artists through the Artists at Work program to collaborate on local social impact initiatives in the Harbor Area. Artist’s will receive one year’s living wage salary plus healthcare benefits.
The Public Theater of San Antonio is excited to announce that we will be serving as a Cultural Hub for the Artists At Work (AAW) Initiative in partnership with THE OFFICE performing arts + film and The San Antonio Area Foundation.
Eligible artists must be:
- Resident of the San Antonio area
- Be in need of full-time employment (not a tenured teacher/artist)
- Have, or are interested in, developing a social practice (i.e. antiracism, justice reform, sustainability, and equitable development, health, economy, homelessness and housing, child welfare, or immigration)
Through this residency, participating artists will:
- Engage with their studio practice daily.
- Work in partnership with a local Social Impact Initiative or Community Partner to help bring focus to issues that are relevant and responsive to the needs of San Antonio (approximately 15-20 hours/week). Social Impact Initiative/Community Partner can be an organization the artist already works with, otherwise, The Public Theater will assist in identifying potential partners.
- Commit to a project, or area of work, as the focus during the 12-month residency.
- Create new work as part of an ongoing project in partnership with The Public Theater of San Antonio, the selected Social Impact Initiative, with a commitment to exhibit work, or participate in events to be presented free and open to the public.
- Attend monthly Professional Development workshops and Artist Work Shares.
- Be responsible for monthly progress surveys (via email) to be submitted to THE OFFICE performing arts + film.
- Keep a video, audio or written journal and/or other documentation of the work created during the residency.
- Be employed by THE OFFICE performing arts + film for the 12-month term and receive a salary and benefits.
The Public Theater of San Antonio will:
- Select qualified artist candidates through an ad hoc committee comprised of the The Public Theater staff, members of the Artistic Advisory Committee, and local organizational partners.
- Assist with marketing, outreach, curatorial and administrative support.
- Assist with the selection of a Social Impact Initiative/Community Partner.
- Assist with organizing exhibition/event opportunities for community engagement with the artist, their assigned project, and Social Impact Initiative.
Additional benefits include:
- Invitations to participate in The Public Theater’s professional development programs, including Resident Artists Gatherings and Developmental Readings
- Tickets to performances and invitation to special events such as Sneak Peeks, Pre-show receptions, among others.
- Dedicated Page on our website to feature progress and work
To apply, submit required and supplemental materials, including:
- Short answer questions
- A resume
- A short artist bio and/or
- A portfolio of current work and/or
- Links to a website/page where your work can be found. and/or
- Social Media links
Artists At Work was an idea inspired by the WPA and founded by THE OFFICE performing arts + film with an initial pilot in Western Massachusetts in 2020. Following that success, AAW was recently awarded $3M by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation to expand its program in other parts of the country, starting in Los Angeles County in Fall 2021. More information can be found at artists-at-work.org.